Holland Engineering, Inc. (HEI) is actively seeking a Staff Engineer to join their Local Land Development Group in their Holland, Michigan office location. The Staff Engineer role is intended to support Project Managers and Project Engineers in a wide range of responsibilities.
HEI was founded in 1977 and provides civil and structural engineering, land surveying, environmental and energy consulting services to clients throughout the United States. We have a staff of over 130 highly qualified professionals, many of whom have worked for the firm since its establishment. With a wide variety of services and markets, our staff is provided with ample opportunities to cross-train between groups, offering a diverse assortment of projects and experiences. We offer competitive benefits and opportunities for growth and professional advancement.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Design support for development projects, which includes site layout, public and private utilities, grading/drainage, and construction permitting. Work tasks will include completing engineering calculations for stormwater management, watermain design, sanitary sewer design, roadway plan and profiles, and review of local design standards.
• Coordination and internal discussions with other Staff Engineers, Project Engineers, and CAD Designers on project requirements.
• CAD drafting and editing of existing drawings using Autodesk products (AutoCAD, Civil 3D, etc.) in compliance with client and internal CAD standards. The Staff Engineer is expected to successfully complete tutorials in addition to attending in-house training and/or off-site training sessions for the applicable drafting and design software in order to become proficient with the software.
• Preparation of submittals for permits and approvals, including follow-up with review agencies and on-site meetings, as needed to assess permit status and identify any additional agency requirements. Specific tasks may include researching permit application information, completing application documentation, plotting and binding of drawing sets, copying of submittal information and packaging of submittals for delivery.
• Staff Engineers will be expected to take the initiative to learn the skills and process needed to successfully support Project Managers and Project Engineers with land development and civil engineering projects. This will include studying design standards for local review agencies (including Road Commissions, Drain Commissions, Health Departments, etc.). The Staff Engineer is expected to become familiar with the various permitting processes and anticipate the needs of each in assisting with project submittals and follow-up.
• Strong written and oral communication skills are necessary when interacting with staff, outside agencies, contractors, and clientele. The Staff Engineer is required to continually strive at providing our clients with superior customer service and act as a professional liaison between clients and other external contacts as required.
• Superior organizational skills for maintaining project and Engineering Department files.
• Responsible for meeting project schedules, deadlines, and budgets while maintaining a high level of quality and accuracy in all work.
• Depending on project requirements, Staff Engineers may spend considerable time on project sites assessing the current conditions, observing construction activities, and documenting the construction progress. We believe that time in the field, seeing how a project is constructed, is a valuable foundation for a career in engineering, and we pursue projects that provide those opportunities.
As described above, the Staff Engineer position will include a wide range of tasks and responsibilities that will vary based on project demands and workload. This role requires flexibility to perform the full range of assignments and the aptitude for working with others in a professional office and on a project site.
Interested candidates must have a Bachelor’s Degree in Civil Engineering (or related engineering field) and anywhere from 0 – 3 years professional experience. Engineer-in-training certification strongly preferred, but not required. If you are interested in becoming a member of a successful company that strives for quality work and client satisfaction, we would like to hear from you. Holland Engineering, Inc. is an EOE. Candidates may send resumes directly to Rose Bays, Human Resource Manager, via email (email@example.com) or by mail (220 Hoover Blvd, Holland, MI 49423).
About Holland Engineering
Holland Engineering provides engineering, project management, land surveying, environmental and field services throughout the Energy, Civil Infrastructure and Government markets. Founded in 1977 to provide engineering and surveying solutions, Holland Engineering, Inc. has grown from a staff of five to over 125 engineers, surveyors and professionals.