To be part of our organization, every employee should understand and share in the YNHHS Vision, support our Mission, and live our Values. These values—integrity, patient-centered, respect, accountability, and compassion—must guide what we do, as individuals and professionals, every day.
The Director of Language Services leads the provision of language services for all delivery networks in the Yale New Haven Health System and Yale Medicine. The Director is responsible for directing an innovative and comprehensive interpreter program to meet the growing needs of our LEP population, overseeing the daily operations and fulfillment of the operational goals for Language Services in all clinical operations of YNHHS. The Director must ensure that interpreter services are available and provided in an efficient and timely manner to all health care providers, patients, families, and employees as needed. The System Director ensures compliance with accreditation and regulatory requirements related to Diversity, Interpreting, and ADA/504 compliance. In addition, the System Director is required to ensure a commitment to: ensuring access to interpreters for all patients requiring services on a 24 hour basis 365 days a year at all YNHHS locations; upholding YNHHS customer satisfaction expectations; efficient/effective use of resources; teamwork; innovation; and performance improvement. Acts to support the relationship between non-English speaking, limited English proficiency, Deaf and hard of hearing and people with disabilities as well as those who do not read or write English.
1. Leads the development, implementation and compliance of language services policies and procedures to reinforce the legal requirements regarding the communication needs of patients and families who require written, spoken, visual or tactile communication services, throughout Yale New Haven Health System and Yale Medicine.
2. Provides centralized operations support for service delivery system-wide, to include system standardization of vendor selection, scheduling, performance tracking/ productivity, user systems administration, analytics, expense tracking, management reporting, chargebacks, statistical analysis.
3. Design a central translation service to ensure translation needs across the system are met, including the translation of all vital documents into our top languages.
4. Ensures that all regulatory, accreditation and industry standard requirements are met on a continual basis.
5. Captures, analyzes, and reports performance and usage data for quality improvement purposes to improve the YNHHS Care Signature and to inform the strategic direction of language services strategy to ensure our continued ability to meet the needs of our patients and families.
6. Establishes staff recruitment, selection, certification, performance and education standards for interpreters, translators and support staff.
7. Develops strategies and initiatives to mitigate excessive turnover, retain the best staff members and recruit top talent.
8. Responsible for researching and vetting new technology and equipment needed to meet the growing needs of our patient population.
9. Provides administrative and fiscal oversight for all Departments of Language Services including human resource management, managing funds and monitoring budget performance.
10. Exemplifies a high standard of customer services. Responds quickly to internal and external customer issues, working with colleagues to address system-wide breakdowns. Proactively works to resolve issues impacting the quality of services.
11. Participates in special projects and performance improvement initiatives, while working collaboratively to enhance system-wide patient experience efforts.
12. Works with hospital committees involved in the development of educational materials and forms.
13. Develops and maintains a system to provide YNHHS staff access to translated documents, including access via intranet.
14. Represents YNHHS in external organizations and conferences concerning language services policies, standards and delivery.
Master's degree required in Human Services, Human Resources or related field. Equivalent work experience in lieu of graduate degree: 7+ years managing the delivery of language services for a large, complex and fast-growing health system.
Minimum of 5 years' experience in multilingual interpreting operations in a healthcare setting, with at least five years of management experience required. Extensive management experience directing the delivery of language services for a large complex and fast-growing health system. In particular: setting policy, delivery systems (process and IT), compliance and staff selection, development and management.
Unless certification, licensure or registration is required, an equivalent combination of education and experience which provides proficiency in the areas of responsibility listed in this description may be substituted for the above.
Demonstrated experience in systems improvement and in managing a diverse workforce and patient population. Demonstrated knowledge of healthcare access and experience in performance improvement initiatives. Excellent organizational and management skills. Strong communications skills - written, verbal and public speaking. Substantial experience in the application of statistical analysis skills. Proven experience selecting, implementing and operating enterprise-wide IT systems in support of language services. Cost management and vendor negotiation skills. Excellent communicator one or more foreign language(s).
Flexibility in coping with shifting demands on time and energy. Must be able to travel to all delivery care networks.
Internal Number: 67420
About Yale New Haven Health System
Complex health system, teach hospital. Approximately 27,000 employees across Connecticut, Rhode Island, and New York. The health system includes 5 inpatient hospitals along with numerous physician practices, urgent care and ambulatory facilities.