The next Head of School of Montessori School of Evergreen will join a healthy institution with myriad strengths and a bright future. While the school is on a solid foundation, we will welcome the fresh perspectives and unique talents that a new leader can bring. Below we have described some of the opportunities and challenges awaiting our next Head of School.
• Building Community – MSE has a long history as a special community made up of students, parents, faculty, administrative staff, and alumni. The new Head of School should embrace that community and continue to cultivate a culture of trust and inclusion. Skills in two-way communication to build community engagement by listening and responding to concerns among all constituencies in the community are very important in the leader of the school.
• Maximizing Enrollment – MSE enjoys steady enrollment in an increasingly competitive admissions environment. The demographics of the area have been skewing older, and other independent schools, charter schools, and public schools in the mountain area offer robust competition. Nearly two-thirds of families who visit MSE ultimately enroll here, so expanding the school’s visibility is desirable. Ensuring that enrollment operations continue to be run effectively, focusing on marketing, and actively promoting the MSE brand will be high priorities for the next Head of School.
• Growing the Middle School – The fine reputation of the MSE Middle School program has continued to grow since it began in 1996, but capacity remains for increased enrollment. MSE graduates leave the Middle School program very well prepared for the high schools of their choice. MSE desires a Head of School who can effectively communicate the excellence of this program to current and prospective families with the goal of increasing enrollment.
• Nurturing a Cohesive Environment – Managing the two campuses will be an ongoing challenge for the next Head of School, requiring concentrated attention both to solve logistical issues and to promote a spirit of collaboration and cohesiveness. Faculty on both campuses enjoy seeing the Head on a day-to-day basis. The Board recognizes the value in having reach to student populations and communities on both the north and south ends of Evergreen and is committed to keeping two campuses, with an eye toward expansion of both as the school grows in the future.
• Attracting, Retaining, and Motivating Faculty and Staff – MSE enjoys a highly engaged and talented faculty and staff. Continuing to attract top talent and motivating each employee to deliver curriculum and programming grounded in Montessori philosophy and educational best practices are important responsibilities of the MSE Head of School. The next Head must promote ongoing professional development opportunities for faculty and staff and should create an atmosphere of teamwork and collaboration between all faculty and staff members.
• Optimizing Administrative Operations – MSE is accustomed to operating with a lean administrative structure. Although the school has expanded the administrative team in recent years, the next Head of School will need to continue to evaluate the administrative structure and make recommendations for enhancements, while continuing to manage finances carefully. The new leader also will be expected to work collaboratively and productively with the Board of Trustees.
• Managing Re-accreditation and Licensing Requirements – Beginning with a self-study year, re-accreditation is anticipated to begin in the 2020-2021 school year with an evaluation visit planned in 2021-2022. While this is a substantial undertaking, MSE has strong institutional knowledge from the original accreditation process and is well positioned for re-accreditation. MSE has dual accreditation from Association of Colorado Independent Schools (ACIS) and American Montessori Society (AMS), and each has new and emerging standards to consider for this next cycle. The next Head of School will be expected to lead this effort as well as manage ongoing licensing requirements for the Toddler and Primary programs.
• Stewarding Financial Resources – MSE needs to continue to plan for long-term financial sustainability. The Board made considerable progress refinancing the bond last year and is focused this year on short and long-term financial planning. The Head of School is responsible for effective budgeting and sound financial management of school operations. Budgets should continue to be developed based on actual costs from the prior year and thoughtful forecasting. The Head also should continue to cultivate MSE’s robust culture of philanthropy by investing considerable effort in expanding institutional advancement.
Montessori School of Evergreen is seeking a dynamic educational leader who will embrace the unique culture of the school and make a long-term commitment to advance it with energy and enthusiasm. The position comes with a very competitive salary package and the opportunity for an exceptionally appealing qualify of life. The ideal candidate will possess the following professional qualifications and leadership qualities.
Professional Qualifications: • An educational leader with experience overseeing Montessori curriculum and programming who fully embraces the Montessori ethos and who will be committed to ensuring that it remains central to the school’s program at every level. The Montessori Administrator credential is desired.
• A leader who advocates for and inspires teachers and who is committed to ongoing professional development.
• A progressive educator who is knowledgeable about current educational best practices.
• An accessible leader who celebrates the individuality of each child.
• A leader with excellent administrative skills, including the ability to multitask and delegate appropriately.
• Strong business acumen including wise stewardship of financial, physical, and human resources.
• A track record of success in planning, budgeting, and financial management.
• The ability and willingness to participate fully in the external aspects of school leadership, including playing a leadership role in marketing and fundraising.
Leadership Qualities: • Excellent communication and community building skills with the ability to understand a variety of perspectives.
• Open-minded, collaborative, and transparent, yet also willing and able to make decisions and set appropriate boundaries and expectations.
• Outgoing, relational, and approachable to students, parents, faculty, staff, and alumni.
• Appreciative of and eager to lead our school community.
• A visionary leader with the ability to achieve long-term, strategic initiatives.
• Strong, personal integrity with a commitment to honesty and ethical leadership.
About Montessori School of Evergreen
Montessori School of Evergreen is a 220-student day school serving students toddler – 8th grade. MSE is dedicated to its mission of inspiring a lifelong love of learning in each student through meaningful, dynamic, and innovative experiences. MSE is fully accredited by both the American Montessori Society and Association of Colorado Independent Schools. Evergreen, Colorado is a wonderful place to call home. Located in the beautiful foothills outside of Denver, it is perfectly situated between city life and the best ski resorts in the country.