Location: Livermore, CA Category: Post Docs Organization: NIF and Photon Science Posting Requirement: External Posting Job ID: 104429
Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1) Date Posted: October 29 2018
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Experimental Physicist to execute experiments, develop unique diagnostics and diagnostic techniques, and lead frontier research in the area of experimental nuclear astrophysics and high-energy-density plasmas (HEDP). This growing research area uses the unique capabilities of intense laser facilities, such as NIF and OMEGA, to create HEDP relevant to astrophysical systems, such as stellar cores and the universe shortly after the big bang. You will participate in the research to develop novel nuclear diagnostics and measure cross sections relevant for nucleosynthesis. This position is in the High Energy Density Scientific and Technology (HED S&T) Program in the National Ignition Facility and Photon Science Principal (NIF&PS) Directorate.
- Research, design and execute x-ray and laser driven experiments at NIF, at the OMEGA laser facility, and at the on-site Jupiter laser facility. - Design, field, and coordinate the development of new nuclear diagnostics - Document research; publish papers in peer-reviewed journals, and present results within the DOE community and at conferences.
- Collaborate with scientists in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals. - Coordinate team resources, and plan experimental campaigns. - Pursue independent, but complementary, research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists, internally and externally to the laboratory. - Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in nuclear physics, plasma physics, astrophysics, or related field. - Experience in experimental physics in one of the following areas: nuclear physics, high-energy-density experiments, astrophysics, laser-plasma interactions, or hydrodynamics. - Comprehensive analytical and experimental skills. - Experience developing, calibrating and fielding x-ray, topical or nuclear diagnostics and associated analysis techniques.
Postdoctoral Researcher in Livermore, CA - Careers at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory 10/29/18, 10)44 AM
- Proficient written and verbal communication skills to author technical and scientific reports, publications, and invited papers, and deliver scientific presentations. - Effective interpersonal skills with initiative and the ability to work in a collaborative, multidisciplinary team environment.
- Ability to perform independent research.
- Experience working at HEDP or nuclear physics user facilities.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post- offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required. Note: This is a one year Postdoctoral appointment. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
You may also apply at careers.llnl.gov
Internal Number: 104429
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.