Location: Livermore, CA Category: Post Docs Organization: Physical and Life Sciences Posting Requirement: External Posting Job ID: 104025 Job Code: Post-Dr Research Staff 1 (PDS.1) Date Posted: August 08 2018
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have an opening for a Postdoctoral Research Staff Member to perform theoretical and computational research in the field of Magnetic Fusion Energy Sciences. You will develop new theoretical models and numerical simulation capabilities and apply these toward addressing high priority research topics in tokamak boundary and edge plasma physics. The work will be performed within the LLNL Fusion Energy Sciences Program’s (FESP) Theory and Computation group within the Physics Division.
- Conduct research in the development of magnetized plasma and neutral physics models relevant to tokamak and toroidal magnetic configurations. - Contribute to and actively participate in the conception, design, and execution of research to address defined problems.
- Develop, implement and apply numerical simulation techniques to advance existing kine:c and/or fluid modeling codes. - Collaborate with others in a multidisciplinary team environment to accomplish research goals. - Pursue independent and complementary research interests and interact with a broad spectrum of scientists internally and externally to the Laboratory. - Organize, analyze, publish research results in peer-reviewed scientific journals and present at conferences, workshops, seminars and/or technical meetings. - Perform other duties as assigned.
- Recent PhD in Physics or related discipline.
- Experience developing theoretical and computational models of physical systems
11/1/18, 1:13 PM
Postdoctoral Research Staff Member - Magnetic Fusion Energy in ... https://careers-llnl.ttcportals.com/jobs/2987751-postdoctoral-resear...
involving plasmas, particle beams, and/or fluid dynamics. - Experience implementing and applying computational models to such physical systems and analyzing and interpreting the results of the models. - Ability to develop independent research projects as demonstrated through publication of peer-reviewed literature. - Proficient verbal and written communication skills, initiative, and interpersonal skills necessary to collaborate effectively in a multi-disciplinary team environment and present and explain technical information.
- Programming proficiency in C++, Fortran, Python and/or other scripting languages. - Knowledge of advanced numerical methods and code optimization methods for physical systems. - Knowledge of advanced theoretical methods in plasma physics and familiarity with experimental magnetic fusion energy devices, diagnostics, and data analysis.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test. This includes testing for use of marijuana as Federal Law applies to us as a Federal Contractor.
Security Clearance: None required.
Note: This is a two-year Postdoctoral appointment with the possibility of extension to a maximum of three years. Eligible candidates are recent PhDs within five years of the month of the degree award at time of hire date.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and
applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
You may also apply at careers.llnl.gov
Internal Number: 104025
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.