Location: Livermore, CA Category: Science & Engineering Organization: Weapons and Complex Integration Posting Requirement: External w/ US Citizenship Job ID: 103826 Job Code: Science & Engineering MTS 2 (SES.2)
Science and Technology on a Mission!
For more than 60 years, the Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL) has applied science and technology to make the world a safer place.
We have multiple openings for physicists to do theory and target design in support of the Inertial Confinement Fusion (ICF) Program. You will become part of the team working on the grand- challenge of achieving thermonuclear ignition on the National Ignition Facility (NIF). This research requires working closely with individuals from other disciplines, such as laser experimentalists, laser scientists, target fabrication specialists and NIF Project scientists and engineers, as well as other target designers and theorists. This position is in the Design Physics Division within the Weapons and Complex Integration (WCI) Principal Directorate.
- Plan, analyze and interpret NIF laser experiments in support of the effort to achieve ignition on NIF principally with large computer codes, but also with analytic modeling. - Perform computational and theoretical analyses that extrapolate our current understanding of ignition related physics to NIF and beyond.
- Successfully work as part of an interdisciplinary team on ICF project activities. - Present research results in scientific meetings, peer reviews, and publications. - Perform other duties as assigned.
- PhD in physics or related field, or the equivalent combination of education and related experience. - Comprehensive knowledge of plasma physics, hydrodynamics, or astrophysics. - Experience in computational modeling of complex systems.
- Experience developing creative solutions to complex problems. - Demonstrated ability to deliver a high quality, polished product in a timely manner. - Proficient written and verbal communication skills as demonstrated by a record of publications, invited papers, or teaching experience. - Demonstrated ability to interact effectively in an interdisciplinary team of scientists as well as independently.
- Experience with the use of large two and three-dimensional computer codes.
Pre-Placement Medical Exam: A job related pre-placement medical examination may be required.
Pre-Employment Drug Test: External applicant(s) selected for this position will be required to pass a post-offer, pre-employment drug test.
Security Clearance: This position requires a Department of Energy (DOE) Q-level clearance.
If you are selected, we will initiate a Federal background investigation to determine if you meet eligibility requirements for access to classified information or matter. In addition, all L or Q cleared employees are subject to random drug testing. Q-level clearance requires U.S. citizenship. If you hold multiple citizenships (U.S. and another country), you may be required to renounce your non-U.S. citizenship before a DOE L or Q clearance will be processed/granted.
Note: This is a Career Indefinite position. Lab employees and external candidates may be considered for this position.
Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory (LLNL), located in the San Francisco Bay Area (East Bay), is a premier applied science laboratory that is part of the National Nuclear Security Administration (NNSA) within the Department of Energy (DOE). LLNL's mission is strengthening national security by developing and applying cutting-edge science, technology, and engineering that respond with vision, quality, integrity, and technical excellence to scientific issues of national importance. The Laboratory has a current annual budget of about $1.8 billion, employing approximately 6,500 employees.
LLNL is an affirmative action/ equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, marital status, national origin, ancestry, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, medical condition, protected veteran status, age, citizenship, or any other characteristic protected by law.
You may also apply at careers.llnl.gov
Internal Number: 103826
About Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
Significant projects, breakthrough technology... It's all waiting for you at Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. Here, our people develop and utilize the most cutting-edge technology in the country-if not the world. How do we do it? By encouraging and embracing a competition of ideas with respect for individual contributions and a workforce with diverse experiences, skills, and backgrounds. So join the ultimate scientific community, and discover your true career potential.