JOB SUMMARY: Provides extracorporeal life support to Neonatal, Pediatric, and Adult patients who are in cardiac or respiratory failure despite maximal medical therapy independently. Responsible for all aspects of monitoring and troubleshooting the ECMO circuit and related equipment during the treatment period. Collaborates with bedside RNs, physicians, and other members of the health care team to coordinate care for these very complex patients. May be called upon to monitor and troubleshoot Ventricular Assist Devices (VADs), and Continuous Veno-venous Hemofiltration (CVVH).
Utilizes unique knowledge regarding extracorporeal circulation and its effects on the body, independently uses and documents effective planning, deliverance and evaluation of goal focused, individualized safe age and culture-specific care for all patients.
Initiates consults with HCT providing complete and appropriate information for complex continuum of care planning.
Develops, evaluates and revises individualized, age and culture-specific teaching plans for all patients and families.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
EXTRACORPOREAL SUPPORT (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of extracorporeal membrane oxygenation circuitry assessment, evaluations, troubleshooting and management in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training and experience to be capable of role modeling, coaching, and educating peers and other healthcare team members regarding extracorporeal support while raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
LABORATORY TESTING & ANALYSIS (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates in-depth knowledge of laboratory tests to successfully meet broad work objectives. Demonstrates mastery of laboratory tests in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient training and experience to be capable of successfully delivering laboratory tests and analysis without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to communicate with users and customers regarding appropriate subject matter in an easily understood manner.
EQUIPMENT MAINTENANCE - (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of preventive maintenance in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully maintaining equipment, products, or systems without requiring support and instruction from others. Able to conduct predictive maintenance on core products and equipment.
TREATMENT PLANNING & GOAL SETTING (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery in developing a plan of care that incorporates treatment interventions focused on meeting objective goals. Develops and documents patient focused short and long term goals that are functional and measurable. Identifies the need for and referral to other services, as needed. May serve as a mentor for other clinical staff to develop their skills in treatment planning. May consult with team members or implement new procedures.
PATIENT EVALUATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient evaluations in practical applications of a difficult nature. Demonstrates experience in the evaluation process. Demonstrates a solid understanding of internal control concepts and experience in applying them to the diagnosis. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of successfully delivering patient evaluations without requiring support and instruction from others.
Organizational Impact: Independently delivers on objectives with understanding of how they impact the results of own area/team and other related teams.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Utilizes multiple sources of data to analyze and resolve complex problems; may take a new perspective on existing solution.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has advanced knowledge within a professional area and basic knowledge across related areas.
Team Interaction: Acts as a go-to resource for colleagues with less experience; may lead small project teams.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P3):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P3):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P3):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P3):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P3):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period.Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As th...e largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.