Embracing the needs of their members, PGEC and its subsidiary RURAL Band, have lead the way in the state of Virginia in offering a Fiber to the Home solution for broad band Internet access. PGEC leadership is looking for a Vice President of Information Technology (VP IT). This highly-motivated leader will drive change with technology supporting current and future business needs. The VP IT will represent the Cooperative’s senior-most technology leadership role and serve as a member of PGEC’s executive leadership team, reporting to President & CEO Casey Logan. Mr. Logan is a strong advocate of technology, and this individual will continue to advance the mission of PGEC while delivering sound, safe, and dependable technology solutions.
Charged with leading a team of IT professionals, the successful candidate will build a delivery organization centered on reliability and providing mutually beneficial technology for PGEC and its members. S/he will align technology implementation and utilization to the Cooperative’s objectives and devise strategies that guide the overall technological direction of the Cooperative.
With a culture of listening, observing, and collaborating, this individual will provide vision and leadership for developing and incorporating innovative and effective technology solutions as PGEC focuses on improving the options for its member-customers. As a partner with each of the Cooperative’s respective functions, the VP of IT must develop and administer policies, procedures, and solutions that build and support a secure technology system which will serve as a solid platform for future growth.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Working closely with the CEO and executive team, develop strategic technology plans to satisfy the short, medium, and long-term vision of the Cooperative. Serve as a member of the Senior Management Team and participate in staff meetings and other Cooperative activities. Lead IT Team to ensure alignment with corporate strategic goals and objectives.
• Constantly evaluate technologies and work to achieve consensus on technical standards and solutions provided to member-customers.
• Innovate and strategize, embrace change, and understand the practical application of technology. Plan for systems and solutions that meet current and future needs, including emerging energy technology solutions (i.e. broadband, smart grid, distributed generation, etc.).
• Organize, plan, evaluate, and direct programs to ensure that the Cooperative’s information technology systems provide ongoing effective service and results (i.e. data centers, networking, enterprise systems, etc.).
• Develop and follow sound planning practices that anticipate and determine when major system improvements are required to provide safe, secure, reliable and efficient infrastructures. Monitor and evaluate performance versus desired results and take corrective action, if required, to achieve business goals.
• Administer effective department platforms and systems by authorizing, approving, and working within the direction provided by the Cooperative’s IT resources. Execute the plan with periodic reviews and adjustments according to changing needs and technological offerings.
• Prepare an annual budget for the department’s expense and capital needs, approve and analyze departmental expenditures, and be responsible for any corrective action needed to operate within budgetary guidelines.
• Negotiate and maintain contracts and agreements for IT hardware, software, and service vendors including licenses, upgrades, patches, and maintenance. Determine the appropriate priority of various IT projects; make adjustments to adhere to changing operational, budgetary, or schedule needs.
• Design, establish, and maintain a network infrastructure for local and wide-area connectivity and remote access, and oversee Internet and computer operations.
• Focus on member relations, making every effort to develop and implement solutions that improves the member-customer experience.
• Bring value to the PGEC communities by volunteering and engaging in neighborhood efforts to protect and enhance the Cooperative’s credibility and reputation.
Ideal Candidate Attributes
The successful candidate will have a broad and deep knowledge of technical management and possess comprehensive understanding of technical infrastructure including, but not limited to: broadband transmission and operations, hardware platforms, operating systems, network equipment, data communications, storage technologies, and system integration in a server, Windows-based environment. Understanding operations, anticipating needs and pursuing effective and efficient solutions is the vision needed in this role. In addition, the VP of IT will possess:
• Adeptness at developing technology strategies and operations of existing infrastructure while managing security risks.
• Successful experience and proficiency with the network development, distribution, and technical aspects of broadband transmission.
• Significant experience and knowledge of information systems at an enterprise level over multiple hardware and software platforms.
• Strong leadership and the ability to readily accept responsibility for the safety of all individuals who work under his/her supervision.
• Knowledge of good organizational structuring and staffing, including experience in organizing and supervising work groups, and possessing the ability to coordinate plans and design with other departments.
• Substantial business acumen and good working knowledge of finance and accounting including capital expenses and IT spending.
• Empathy with and interest in furthering organizational objectives. Must stay abreast of developments and current issues facing the industry and their impact on the Cooperative, its members, and the communities it serves.
• The highest degree of integrity and professionalism, a pleasant disposition, possessing tact,and being an active and loyal member of the team.
• Inherent abilities to build positive and productive relationships internally and externally tosupport the Cooperative’s plans, procedures, and services as well as promoting a positivepublic image for the organization and its goals and objectives.
• Ten (10) years of progressively responsible experience in information technology required.Experience shall include computer operations, computer programming and system design. Aminimum of five (5) years of progressive supervisory experience required.
• Experience in the Cooperative utility industry is preferred.
• A bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or Information Technology or equivalent preferred.