Journeyman Electric Meter Technician, Apprentice Electric Meter Technician, 3rd Year, Apprentice Electric Meter Technician, 2nd Year, Apprentice Electric Meter Technician, 1st Year
Primary duties include the installing, testing, inspecting, and repairing of electronic revenue metering equipment including instrument transformers, and related hardware. Assist with operating meter/instrument rated test equipment required to test and diagnose electric metering circuit and equipment. Work with alternating current (AC) and direct current (DC) circuits from 48 to 600 volts.
Associates degree or certificate of completion from a technical school in electronics, computer-controlled instruments, electrical theory or applied electrical principles. A combination of experience and education/training will be accepted in lieu of education requirement.
A minimum of two years job experience in electric work, to include electrician work, electric utility work, or other related work in the electric field (1000 volts and below). Prefer: work experience related to the installation and maintenance of instrument rated electric metering, previous Automated Meter Information system experience, and experience writing meter programs.
Knowledge of principles of electricity, metering theory, electronic circuitry and math proficiency. A thorough knowledge of meter servicing, electrical and electronic circuitry, National Electric Code and the National Electric Safety Code. Working knowledge of basic electric tools and equipment, such volt meters, amp meters, and phasing meters. Prefer: advanced electric and meter theory knowledge.
Must be able to read and interpret electrical drawings, instructions, and diagrams. Skilled at troubleshooting, evaluating and repairing electronic equipment. Must have intermediate level of proficiency in the Microsoft Office Suite. Must have current knowledge, or possess the technical competency, to use industry software and operate meter and instrument transformer test equipment.
Must have demonstrated ability to work on own with minimal day-to-day supervision, and initiative to be a self-starter. Demonstrated ability to pay close attention to details. Proficient math skills with the ability to compute rates, ratios and percentages. Accurate record keeping skills, reliability, and dependability. Able to work independently and cooperatively with other departments and coworkers. Able to plan, coordinate, and organize supplies and equipment for meter installation and testing. Maintain safety awareness and comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures to assure a safe working environment. A valid Kansas Driver’s License is required.
About 80% of work day involves general meter activities in the field with the remaining 20% in the office. While performing the duties of this job, the individual is regularly exposed to outside weather conditions, may be exposed to electrical hazards.
About Midwest Energy, Inc.
Midwest Energy, Inc is Kansas' largest energy cooperative, serving approximately 50,000 electric meters and 43,000 natural gas meters in 40 central and western Kansas counties. Headquartered in Hays, KS Midwest Energy is proud of its growth-oriented and entrepreneurial history. Midwest has 270 employees.