RN, Charge Vanderbilt Asthma, Sinus, and Allergy Clinic (VASAP Clinic)
The Charge Nurse will:
* Assist in assuring a patient/family focused environment.
* Works under the direction of the Manager/ Supervisor to develop, implement and evaluate systems that promote cost effective, quality patient care.
* The Registered Nurse, Charge is a frontline member of the leadership team.
* Effectively communicates pertinent patient family information to healthcare team.
This position is frontline supervisor for all locations for VASAP, total of five locations. This position is key to the leadership team at VASAP. Duties include but not limited to the following:
Direct supervision of staff
Maintaining compliance related to employee POS training
Monitoring EOC activities
Working with pharm to order specialty medications, manages orientation & mentorship programs
Orders supplies, direct contact for medication allergy provider
Performs evaluations of all LPN & MA staff
Works with manager to ensure clinic operations -- works with providers, manages influenza program, monitors emergency equipment, and other activities for operations.
This position supports infusion, intake, specialty testing, IT room / mixing, RT / CT, medication allergy clinic, ENT clinic, and skin testing.
We are the first multi-specialty program in the country dedicated to treating airway diseases. If you have asthma, allergy or sinus problems, we offer total care including testing, treatment, resolution and management -- all under one roof.
If you need relief from allergy, sinus or asthma issues, we can help you feel better fast. Vanderbilt is the first multi-specialty program in the country dedicated to the evaluation, treatment, and management of airway diseases. Patients have access to a total care system that encompasses evaluation, treatment, resolution, and management.
Located in Nashville, Tennessee, and operating at a global crossroads of teaching, discovery and patient care, VUMC is a community of individuals who come to work each day with the simple aim of changing the world. It is a place where your expertise will be valued, your knowledge expanded and your abilities challenged. It is a place where your diversity -- of culture, thinking, learning and leading -- is sought and celebrated. It is a place where employees know they are part of something that is bigger than themselves, take exceptional pride in their work and never settle for what was good enough yesterday. Vanderbilt's mission is to advance health and wellness through preeminent programs in patient care, education, and research.
Our Nursing Philosophy:
We believe highly skilled and specialized nursing care is essential to Vanderbilt University Medical Center's mission of quality in patient care, education and research. We believe nursing is an applied art and science focused on helping people, families and communities reach excellent health and well-being.
Holds healthcare team accountable to clinical and service standards.
Partners with the healthcare team for day-to-day execution of the mission and strategic plan of the organization.
Acts as a clinical resource for novice staff members as well as assisting experienced staff in problem-solving skills for complex patient care situations.
The responsibilities listed are a general overview of the position and additional duties may be assigned.
LEADERSHIP - (FUNDAMENTAL AWARENESS): - Understands the difference between managing people and leading people. Demonstrates leadership with peers and as a member of a team. Influences others positively in work situations without having commensurate authority. Shows technical leadership by taking responsibility for projects and assignments. Demonstrates company values, high ethical principles and personal integrity in everyday activities.
NURSING PATIENT ASSESSMENT & EVALUATION (NOVICE): - Possesses sufficient fundamental proficiency to successfully demonstrate the ability to assess and evaluate patients in practical applications of moderate difficulty. Conducts primary care patient interviews and physical examinations. Demonstrates sufficient acumen to recognize problems, ask questions and to contact the patient's primary care provider and other members of the healthcare team. Has experience in gathering pertinent clinical data that aid in referral, treatment, or other primary care pathways.
CARE PLANNING (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates ability to anticipate and plan for complex resource needs, identify discrete tasks, set priorities, schedule activities, meet deadlines, and organize work. Collaborates with members of the health care team to identify desired outcomes. Anticipates problems and obstacles before they arise. Able to adapt changes to patient care and area needs with minimal loss of disruption and loss of productivity. Develops creative ideas and takes innovative action to achieve planned goals and objectives. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to role model and coach less experienced peers.
NURSING PATIENT EDUCATION (INTERMEDIATE): - Demonstrates mastery of patient education in practical applications of a difficult nature. Possesses sufficient knowledge, training, and experience to be capable of providing patient health education services without requiring instruction from others. Able to train and educate by setting the example, giving technical instruction, providing leadership, and generally raising the level of performance of others while on the job.
EVIDENCE-BASED PRACTICE (ADVANCED): - Recognizes, Implements, and evaluates practice changes based on published research. Demonstrates expertise in applying evidence-based practices to challenging and complex situations.
Organizational Impact: Delivers projects/assignments that have a direct impact on goals/objectives of the unit/department that the job is in.
Problem Solving/ Complexity of work: Conducts extensive analysis of situations or data to resolve numerous, complex issues; may involve the input/work of others.
Breadth of Knowledge: Has in-depth level of knowledge within a professional area and working knowledge of other areas.
Team Interaction: May lead mid-sized projects; coaches and guides team members.
SUPPORTING COLLEAGUES (P4):
- Develops Self and Others: Invests time, energy and enthusiasm in developing self/others to help improve performance and gain knowledge in new areas.
- Builds and Maintains Relationships: Maintains regular contact with key colleagues and stakeholders using formal and informal opportunities to expand and strengthen relationships.
- Communicates Effectively: Recognizes group interactions and modifies one's own communication style to suit different situations and audiences.
DELIVERING EXCELLENT SERVICES (P4):
- Serves Others with Compassion: Seeks to understand current and future needs of relevant stakeholders and customizes services to better address them.
- Solves Complex Problems: Approaches problems from different angles; Identifies new possibilities to interpret opportunities and develop concrete solutions.
- Offers Meaningful Advice and Support: Provides ongoing support and coaching in a constructive manner to increase employees' effectiveness.
ENSURING HIGH QUALITY (P4):
- Performs Excellent Work: Engages regularly in formal and informal dialogue about quality; directly addresses quality issues promptly.
- Ensures Continuous Improvement: Applies various learning experiences by looking beyond symptoms to uncover underlying causes of problems and identifies ways to resolve them.
- Fulfills Safety and Regulatory Requirements: Understands all aspects of providing a safe environment and performs routine safety checks to prevent safety hazards from occurring.
MANAGING RESOURCES EFFECTIVELY (P4):
- Demonstrates Accountability: Demonstrates a sense of ownership, focusing on and driving critical issues to closure.
- Stewards Organizational Resources: Applies understanding of the departmental work to effectively manage resources for a department/area.
- Makes Data Driven Decisions: Demonstrates strong understanding of the information or data to identify and elevate opportunities.
FOSTERING INNOVATION (P4):
- Generates New Ideas: Proactively identifies new ideas/opportunities from multiple sources or methods to improve processes beyond conventional approaches.
- Applies Technology: Demonstrates an enthusiasm for learning new technologies, tools, and procedures to address short-term challenges.
- Adapts to Change: Views difficult situations and/or problems as opportunities for improvement; actively embraces change instead of emphasizing negative elements.
Vanderbilt University Medical Center is home to Vanderbilt University Hospital, The Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt, the Vanderbilt Psychiatric Hospital and the Vanderbilt Stallworth Rehabilitation Hospital. These hospitals experienced more than 61,000 inpatient admissions during fiscal year 2015. Vanderbilt’s adult and pediatric clinics treated nearly 2 million patients during this same period. Vanderbilt University Hospital and the Monroe Carell Jr. Children’s Hospital at Vanderbilt are recognized again this year by U.S. News & World Report’s Best Hospitals as among the nation’s best with 18 nationally ranked specialties. Vanderbilt University Medical Center is world renowned because of the innovation, work ethic and collegiality of its employees. From our health care advances to our compassionate care, Vanderbilt owes its accomplishments and reputation to staff and faculty who bring skill and drive and innovation to the medical center day after day. World-leading academic departments and comprehensive centers of excellence pursue scientific discoveries and transformational educational and clinical advances across the entire spectrum of health and disease.As t...he largest employer in middle Tennessee, we welcome those who are interested in ongoing development in a caring, culturally sensitive and professional atmosphere. Most of us spend so much of our lives at work, we want to be part of maintaining a workplace in which people support one another and encourage reaching for excellence. Many high-achieving employees stay at Vanderbilt because of the professional growth they experience and because of their appreciation of Vanderbilt’s benefits, public events and discussions, athletic opportunities, beautiful setting and, above all, sense of community and purpose.Vanderbilt and its employees share a set of mutual expectations that have been created with productivity, legality, fairness and safety always in mind. We believe that our investment in training and compensating employees multiplies in value when we enable individuals to deliver their best performance for the benefit of us all.