Brown Advisory is currently seeking a professional, detail-oriented and self-motivated Fixed Income ESG Research Analyst. This individual will work as part of the broader ESG research team to support the ESG research needs of Brown Advisory’s institutional fixed income strategies. The preferred location for this position is in our Baltimore, MD office.
The primary duties of the position are to provide process-oriented and analytical support to our fixed income team on environmental, social, and governance (ESG) risks and opportunities for securities currently held or under consideration, including corporate, municipal, and securitized bonds. The analyst will also be responsible for carrying out investigative/thematic research, and engagement activities including engaging with issuers and underwriters on sustainability characteristics. Each of our ESG Research Analysts also have the opportunity to represent Brown Advisory’s ESG integration process externally to clients and prospective clients.
This will be a challenging and dynamic role that requires an analytical thinker and problem-solver with strong attention to detail. The desired skillset of the ESG Research Analyst includes:
• A deep knowledge and passion for ESG and Sustainability subject matters, and the ability to provide objective analysis that translates ESG research to investment risks and opportunities.
• Strong investment acumen and understanding of fundamental research.
• Team player, who will work hand-in-hand with other ESG research analysts, fundamental analysts, and portfolio managers. This analyst should bring diverse perspectives, a devil’s advocate perspective, and a willingness to learn from others.
• Superior communication skills and ability to collaborate across different offices and time zones.
• Entrepreneurial mindset with a willingness to adapt to our growing and evolving ESG integration efforts.]
The primary duties and responsibilities include but are not limited to:
• Conduct ESG Assessments, analyzing the ESG risks and sustainable investment opportunities of our fixed income holdings, including for corporate, municipal, and securitized bonds
• Provide sector-level analysis on the ESG risks and sustainable investment opportunities within a particular industry—there may be an opportunity to specialize in a particular sector depending on candidate experience and background (e.g. Industrials, Autos, Technology/Telecom, Consumer, Healthcare, Energy/Utilities)
• Monitor and document ESG related news and controversies for our fixed income holdings
• Keep abreast of ESG topics and trends, particularly as it relates to the growth of the sustainable fixed income market
• Bachelor’s degree required; MBA, CFA, or other equivalent a plus
• Minimum of 2 years’ experience working in investment management or a sustainability-related field preferred
• Knowledge of fixed income investments, including corporate, municipal, and/or securitized bonds preferred
• Superior analytical, research, and written/verbal communication skills; strong attention to detail
• Knowledge of investment and ESG tools and methodologies such as MSCI, CDP, FactSet and Bloomberg preferred
• Superior analytical, research, writing, and communication skills
• Proficient user of Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint; ability to learn new software applications quickly such as databases and web applications
Internal Number: 1536
About Brown Advisory
Every firm has a culture – the values, beliefs, methodology, attitudes and standards that reflect an organization’s DNA. But the truly inspiring firms – the game-changers, the industry leaders and the disruptors – have cultures that propel them to innovate and stand out. At Brown Advisory, we aim to be one of those inspired firms. Over the years, we have purposefully built and nurtured our client-first culture.
Brown Advisory is an independent investment management firm committed to delivering a combination of first-class performance, strategic advice and the highest level of client service with offices in Austin, Baltimore, Boston, the Carolinas, Delaware, London, New York, Singapore, Virginia and Washington, D.C. The firm’s institutional and private clients are based in 50 states and more than 39 countries and territories and are served by over 650 colleagues worldwide, all of whom are equity owners of the firm.