Beaver Country Day School—a school in Chestnut Hill, MA—with grades 6-12, seeks a highly- experienced, emotionally-intelligent, creative, and innovative educator to be our next Director of the Upper School, starting in the 2021-22 school year. This is a full time - 12-month position that will report directly to the Head of School and serve on the school’s senior administrative team.
The Director of the Upper School is responsible for 360 students in grades 9-12. They will have the support of an experienced administrative team as they oversee student programming, faculty evaluation and supervision, curriculum development, student academic and behavioral progress, athletics, scheduling, parent interactions, and institutional record keeping. The Director is also responsible for modeling and sustaining the Division’s commitment to the Beaver Mindset as its students and faculty engage in “both/and” thinking to develop ideas and then launch, test, and refine them.
Candidates should be eager to engage in the life of the school, align with Beaver’s forward thinking mindset and student-centered philosophy, and skillfully deal with colleagues and parents. Their past experience should demonstrate flexibility, energy, creativity, high expectations, and a genuine commitment to diversity, equity, inclusion and social justice. Strong candidates for the Director’s position will:
• Have leadership experience in fast-paced, innovative, forward-looking educational environments • Intuitively understand importance of team, collaboration and community • Be deeply familiar with the development and implementation of new programming • Demonstrated experience managing and supporting others through change • Exhibit joyful enthusiasm for working with teenagers • Understand students’ developmental needs as they engage in complex issues of today’s world • Show fluidity of thinking and openness to change • Have strong managerial skills and experience in budget oversight • Demonstrate outstanding communication skills • Have experience leveraging technology for the best possible educational outcomes
The Director of the Upper School responsibilities include, but are not limited to:
• Managing and directing day-to-day operations and logistics of the Upper School; Communicating and meeting with students and families on a multitude of topics, including programming, events, and student accountability decisions; • Leading and collaborating with the Student Support Team to address questions of student accountability; • Working closely with the Student Life and Equity Team on programming and student life • Supervising and collaborating with departments throughout the school, including the Athletics Department, College Counseling, etc. • Collaborating with Administrative Team to supervise and evaluate Upper School faculty • Partnering with the Associate Head of School, Director of Teaching, Learning and Innovation, and Director of the Middle School on program implementation • Working closely with the Admission Office and Marketing Office to plan and organize Admission events, and with the Philanthropy and Engagement Office and collaborate with the Parent Association
About Beaver Country Day School
About Our School & Our People
We are not your typical independent school. Education is not traditionally seen as forward-thinking. But that's not the case at Beaver. We welcome change and seek feedback to continuously improve. Our "Launch, Test, Refine" mindset promotes flexibility, risk-taking, open-mindedness, and innovation. Our business is providing a future-focused education rooted in real world context and experience and our clients are our students.
The Beaver mindset and approach to teaching place our students at the center of learning experiences in all settings, curricular and co-curricular.
• Our students in grades 6-12 are interesting and passionate individuals, who, above all, are genuinely happy to be at Beaver. We provide students with opportunities to be co-creators of their learning, making it a deeper, more meaningful experience. We are committed to providing an educational environment in tune with the real world and doing authentic work.
• Our teachers and educational leaders are committed to—and excited about— expanding the nature of school, and igniting and fueling the passions of all our students.
• Our mindset is to make excellent mistake...s, launch/test/refine, and not be defined by binary thinking. Instead, we look to approach things from a both/and outlook: tradeoffs don’t have to be the answer and instead, that’s where creativity comes in. We are a community of creative thinkers and doers.
• Our values include collaboration, partnership, and above all, creating a diverse, inclusive, and equitable environment for our community. This work is a priority and steadfast commitment. It is never “done”, and we will always make decisions with this at the core of who we are. For all Beaver students, faculty, staff and parents to feel a sense of belonging, it’s important that they see themselves reflected in the community, curriculum, and all our programming.
Our goal every day is to create a school that is making an impact – for our students, and for education as a whole. We don’t take that work lightly, we need people that are relentlessly committed to it and excited to do this work—together.