This position is responsible for performing safe, efficient and reliable construction, inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of electric distribution substation equipment and facilities. This position is responsible for records and reports necessary to maintain electrical service to customers; investigate and perform prompt restoration of service.
Assist in the construction, inspection, testing, maintenance and repair of electric distribution substation equipment and facilities in a safe, efficient and reliable manner.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
· Safely construct and maintain all aspects of electrical distribution substation facilities.
· Install mobile substations, as directed.
· Perform all switching operations, as directed.
· Respond to substation outages; troubleshoot and take proper corrective action to restore service in a timely manner; use specialized hot line tools and equipment for restoration of service, as required.
· Inspect and test equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and testing devices such as ohm meters, volt meters or amp meters; test oil in circuit breakers and transformers for dielectric strength, refilling oil periodically; test insulators and bushings of equipment by inducing voltage across insulation, testing current and calculating insulation loss.
· Consult manuals, schematics, wiring diagrams and engineering personnel in order to troubleshoot and solve equipment problems and to determine optimum equipment functioning.
· Prepare and maintain records detailing tests, repairs and maintenance.
· Repair, replace and clean equipment and components such as circuit breakers, brushes and commutators.
· Open and close switches to isolate defective relays; then perform adjustments or repairs.
· Analyst test data in order to diagnose malfunctions to determine performance characteristics of systems and to evaluate effects of system modifications.
· Notify management personnel of equipment shutdowns.
· Assist with the safe construction and maintenance of all aspects of electrical distribution substation facilities.
· Assist with the installation of the mobile substation, as directed.
· Perform work on over 600 volts under direct supervision of a 1st Class Technician or Supervisor.
· Perform hot stick work on primary voltages under direct supervision of 1st Class Technician or Supervisor.
· Assist with the inspection and testing of equipment and circuits to identify malfunctions or defects, using wiring diagrams and test equipment.
· Change out station reclosers, breakers, regulators and other associated equipment, as directed.
· Maintain test and maintenance reports documenting maintenance performed, test results and completed repairs, as directed.
· Analyze test data in order to diagnose and trend performance characteristics of substation equipment and evaluate the effects on the system.
· Assist with performing acceptance testing of auxiliary equipment used in substations.
· Assist with diagnostic testing of oil in circuit breakers, regulators, and transformers.
· Clean up oil spills in compliance with applicable OSHA requirements and complete reports as necessary.
· Maintain required records, accurate daily time sheets and charge time to proper accounts.
· Maintain adequate clothing and personal protective equipment for purposes of health and safety protection.
· Maintain current knowledge of equipment, RUS specifications, OSHA regulations, GIS/mapping system and other operational and regulatory systems related to the responsibilities of the position.
· Maintain assigned tools, materials and equipment in a safe and efficient condition. Maintains vehicle and ensures vehicle is stocked with proper material.
· Ensure work locations are left in a condition appropriate for public safety and customer satisfaction.
Minimum Required Qualifications and Competencies
The following includes the minimum job requirements and essential duties for this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable qualified individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions. Some job requirements may exclude individuals that cannot be reasonably accommodated or who pose a direct threat or significant risk to the health and safety of themselves or other employees.
Education 1st Class
High School or GED
Certification as a Journey Substation Technician from an accredited substation apprentice program.
Four years progressive substation experience.
Advancement from SECO Energy’s Substation Technician 2nd Class position.
Experience or similar work with a distribution electric utility, contractor, or related industry.
Education and/or Experience Notes
In lieu of Certification as a Journey Substation Technician from an accredited substation apprentice program; a line or relay technician with a minimum of four (4) years of progressive substation experience with a distribution electric utility, contractor, or related industry may be considered.
High School or GED
Substation apprenticeship training or other related education required for progression or advancement in classification.
Two years progressive substation experience or an equivalent position with a distribution electric utility or related industry is preferred.
Education and/or Experience Notes
In lieu of progressive substation experience, a line or relay technician with a minimum of five (5) years of field experience with a distribution electric utility, contractor, or related industry may be considered.
About SECO Energy
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric cooperative serving over 210,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the seventh largest in the nation.
In both 2017 and 2016, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Cooperatives” in the J.D. Power Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction Study. In 2015, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Midsize Utilities in the South” by J.D. Power. SECO refers to the three consecutive awards as its “Triple Crown,” and we are grateful to our members for ranking us #1!