Banner Health believes leadership matters. We look for leaders who share our vision making health care easier, so life can be better. Our executives are at the forefront of the health care transformation, planning the future of Banner Health.
This critical role will serve as the lead physician executive across six states and two divisions – Northern Colorado and our rural market, for more than 400 providers and 35 specialties. The selected leader will provide oversight for clinical, customer, and financial performance. We seek a compassionate and innovative leader with success leading large physician groups that will serve as a change agent and drive culture to support a consumer centric culture focused on patient safety and the overall patient experience.
The selected candidate will have proven experience leading a collaborative work environment that is focused on quality of outcomes and superior client service orientation. Most important we seek a leader who truly understands the needs and challenges healthcare is facing today.
Your pay and benefits are important components of your journey at Banner Health. This opportunity includes the option to participate in a variety of health, financial, and security benefits. In addition, this position may be eligible for our Management Incentive Program as part of your Total Rewards package.
At Banner Medical Group, you'll have the opportunity to perform a critical role in the community where you practice. Banner Medical Group provides both primary and specialty care throughout the communities in which Banner Health operates. We do this in a variety of settings - from smaller group practices like our Banner Health Clinics in Loveland, Colo. and Torrington, Wyo., to large multi-specialty Banner Health Centers in the metropolitan Phoenix area. We currently have more than 1,000 physicians and more than 3,500 total employees in our group and are seeking others to enhance our ability to deliver our nonprofit mission of providing excellent patient care.
POSITION SUMMARY This position provides leadership, vision and direction to promote excellence in patient care, practice efficiency and strong financial stewardship. This position is responsible for directing, planning, and coordinating clinical activities and programs for designated areas, ensuring clinical activities are efficient, effective, and appropriately support the organization’s multidisciplinary, patient-centered focus. This position may also have overall responsibility for providing leadership, direction, and administration of medical management, as well as the integration, coordination, and improvement of clinical care and patient safety for designated healthcare operations. This position serves as a member of the clinical leadership team at the system level, building and supporting effective collegial relationships with applicable internal and external stakeholders and ensuring optimal operating effectiveness and strategic positioning.
ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS 1. Oversees and directs the human resources cost, development and growth functions. This includes reviewing and approving personnel actions including recruitment, selection or promotion of staff, evaluations, salary determinations and disciplinary actions. Leads and collaborates in the recruitment, hiring, and orientation of assigned staff. Evaluates the performance and professional competence of assigned staff as appropriate. Develops and mentors staff to promote professional excellence and growth. Fosters teamwork and creates organizational capacity for innovation, creativity and critical thinking by providing staff with authority, accountability, training, information and resources to achieve their full potential.
2. Serves as a key member of the team responsible for shared oversight of the overall operation of designated areas of responsibility, which includes overseeing the development, implementation, and effectiveness of the clinical vision, strategy, focus, and short and long-range goals and objectives in support of the growth and success of the organization. Coordinates and supports the development of applicable pathways, guidelines, benchmarks and metrics. Oversees the development and ongoing promotion of educational offerings and opportunities. Reviews applicable analyses and reports to evaluate program progress.
3. Communicates with clinical and administrative leadership, physicians and staff to ensure that clinical operations are aligned with the overall vision, strategy, and focus of the organization. Oversees and/or directs the development and implementation of entity-wide policies, procedures and programs aligned with stated goals and objectives. Ensures compliance with applicable Federal and State regulations and established organizational policies and procedures. Works collaboratively with senior management to evaluate and maximize the effectiveness of care delivery, patient safety, and related operational metrics. This may include leading care management activities to improve patient safety, provide patient-centered, appropriate and timely care, reduce inappropriate variation, implement evidence-based standards, enhance efficiency and throughput, and evaluate innovative clinical methods and opportunities.
4. Maintains overall accountability for the development, management and adherence to budget. Participates in the annual update of financial statements and documents. Ensures organizational fiscal standards and expectations are met. Participates in philanthropic activities and public speaking engagements, as appropriate.
5. Works in collaboration with other clinical and operational leadership teams. May serve on system committees. This also includes developing the system-wide vision, strategy, and clinical and operational performance in collaboration with other key stakeholders across the company.
6. Ensures and fosters a high level of collaboration within a highly-matrixed team environment in order to coordinate activities, review work, exchange information, and resolve problems. Champions, models, and promotes service excellence philosophies and behaviors at the facility, regional, and system levels to enhance the overall patient experience.
7. Functions as an integral member of the designated healthcare operations and system leadership teams, serving in an advisory capacity to applicable staff. In collaboration with leadership team members, directs and provides oversight regarding the strategic development, implementation, and maintenance of strong, comprehensive clinical and/or operational services and programs that meet system-wide organizational growth initiatives and the needs of patient populations in the community. Fosters the development and implementation of workforce initiatives effectively. Leads and influences change at the local, regional, and system levels.
8. Along with other members of the leadership team, promotes financial stewardship and clinical excellence for the designated healthcare operations in both operational and capital acquisition processes, as needed. Allocates financial, information, and human capital for improvement activities, ensuring the efficient delivery of cost effective services to patients, physicians, and hospital departments. Establishes performance measures, assesses and evaluates operations, and works with department management to assure efficient and effective delivery of services.
9. This position has full operational and administrative oversight responsibility for designated areas. Serves as liaison among facilities, medical staff, medical leadership, external organizations, and contracted payor organizations. Responsible for coordinating services with other administrators, internal legal counsel, executives, and other staff. This position has constant contact with staff members and associates, frequent contact with medical staff leaders and medical staff as well as Banner Health leaders Customers of this position are both internal and external, including leadership, staff, medical staff, regulatory agencies, and the community.
Performs all functions according to established policies, procedures, regulatory and accreditation requirements, as well as applicable professional standards. Provides all customers of Banner Health with an excellent service experience by consistently demonstrating our core and leader behaviors each and every day.
Doctor of Medicine.
Board Certification in respective specialty/discipline. Must possess or be eligible to obtain a current State license to practice medicine and be eligible for medical staff privileges.
Level of expertise typically gained through five years of experience in progressively responsible clinical practice leadership positions, including prior experience as a physician leader, for example a Medical Director or CMO for a large multi-specialty group practice, physician practice management organization, hospital/hospital system, or health plan. Experience with hospital organized medical staff, managed care organizations, and continuous quality improvement activities preferred. Proven experience and track record of predicting the futuristic relevancy and applicability of innovative industry trends, both technological and programmatic. Proven track record leading physician groups, including group facilitation, leadership development, team-building, performance management, and driving cultural change. Experience working with physicians to strategize and develop measurable improvements the quality of clinical care and patient satisfaction. Proven experience implementing a continuous improvement culture. Experience implementing and maintaining a patient-centered, healing culture. Proven track record of partnering with medical staff to achieve desired facility-specific and organizational outcomes. Knowledge of modern national trends in hospital technology, quality and patient safety. Skilled in effectively handling multiple conflicting assignments, demands, and priorities with great attention to detail; coaching and developing direct reports and/or other employees by providing open and honest feedback that results in enhanced performance outcomes; establishing, pursuing, and monitoring appropriate process and outcome measures for key initiatives utilizing a systems perspective; evaluating the processes by which clinical care and patient services are delivered, identifying areas for of opportunity, setting standards for outcomes, developing appropriate systems to monitor outcomes, and overseeing the implementation of process improvements; quickly assessing and assimilating industry trends in order to act quickly and appropriately to changing environmental factors; influencing others and translating strategies into actions; motivating physicians and building teams; influencing physician behaviors; partnering and problem solving with physicians and administrative leaders within multiple clinical areas and among members of the medical staff; navigating a highly-matrixed organizational structure with skill and efficiency; analyzing complex financial/statistical data; maintaining a high level of organization with strong attention to detail in order to respond quickly to varying situations. Excellent human relations, organizational and communication skills are essential.
Leadership style and characteristics necessary to effectively perform in this role include: strong work ethic; results-oriented; persuasive; motivational; able to make rational decisions in difficult situations; inspirational; honorable; confident; systems-thinker; innovative; life-long learner; courageous; high-energy; integrity; collaborator; ability to work with teams; good listening; nonvolatile; values multiple disciplines; and passionate about continuously improving and providing high quality care and service excellence to patients, families, employees and physicians.
PREFERRED QUALIFICATIONS Additional related education and/or experience preferred.
Internal Number: R34330
About Banner Health
Banner Health is one of the largest, nonprofit health care systems in the country and the leading nonprofit provider of hospital services in all the communities we serve. Throughout our network of hospitals, primary care health centers, research centers, labs, physician practices and more, our skilled and compassionate professionals use the latest technology to make health care easier, so life can be better. The many locations, career opportunities, and benefits offered at Banner Health help to make the Banner Journey unique and fulfilling for every employee.