This position is responsible for substation engineering of new and existing substation improvements including SCADA operations, maintenance, and upgrades; provides technical support services for distribution automation, communications, demand side management and other technical systems; completes necessary specifications, designs and construction, operational and maintenance support of substation and transmission facilities.
Essential Duties and responsibilities
This description is intended to indicate the kinds of tasks and levels of work difficulty required of the position given this title and shall not be construed as declaring what the specific duties and responsibilities of any particular position shall be. It is not intended to limit or in any way modify the right of management to assign, direct and control the work of employees under supervision. The listing of essential duties and responsibilities shall not be held to exclude other duties that may be assigned based on the needs of the Cooperative.
· Conduct site evaluation for substation constructability.
· Direct substation design for all substation design layout and general arrangement and as-built drawings (electrical, SCADA, etc.) from Substation Engineer sketches and verified point assignments and connections.
· Direct material selection for substation; switch selection, design or regulator platforms, etc.
· Coordinate drawings with civil design with consulting civil engineering firm, design requirement, drainage, layout, etc.
· Prepare general arrangement modifications.
· Provide necessary documentation (in conjunction with civil engineer and landscape designer) for County and State permit requirements.
· Direct Substation Designer in detail layout drawing for construction contract, i.e., steel arrangement, bus layout, equipment location, schematics, grounding, conduct and cable, control house arrangement, and present for approval by design engineer and operation/maintenance personnel.
· Direct the preparation of cables schedules, conduit schedules, and bill of materials for each project.
· Review submittals from contractor, i.e., steel, equipment, materials, etc. with design engineer and operation/maintenance personnel.
· Work with construction contractor to answer detail specification questions and provide guidance as needed.
· Exchange information and solves problems with substation inspectors and SECO personnel on design and construction issues as directed.
· Perform field visits to ensure accuracy of file drawings.
· Interface with transmission provider and distribution designers to establish termination points for structures and pull boxes, cable and conduit routing, etc.
SCADA Operations and Maintenance
· Responsible for all SCADA system operations and maintenance; ensure SCADA system is working efficiently and all software is up to date.
· Establish hardware/software requirements and specifications for SCADA system; maintain software and single line diagrams to improve user interface.
· Work with QEI Customer Service on SCADA hardware or software problems.
· Evaluate SCADA, substation, transmission and radio outage conditions; make recommendations to management for improvements.
· Work with relay personnel to solve problems with points, alarms, RTUs or radios; ensure SCADA points in the RTUs match the SCADA master.
· Design and order material for SCADA and radio communications for all substation projects.
· Develop and maintain accurate and current SCADA point assignment sheets for each substation.
· Conduct system inspections, as directed; provide reports and recommendations for maximizing effectiveness and minimizing problems.
· Assist in conducting studies and surveys to improve the Cooperative’s electric system.
· Assist in analyzing the performance of system studies; make recommendation based on analyses, including but not limited to, recording, reviewing and analyzing system records; recommendations for system improvements or solutions to system problems.
· Create AutoCAD drawings for all designs.
Demand Side Management
· Establish hardware/software requirements and specifications for distribution power line carrier; radio and interruption rate control of customer loads to meet SECO agreements.
· Analyze controls for effectiveness; prepare reports for each control period and a monthly summary report.
· Ensure proper set points are programmed into the SCADA database, as needed.
· Work with appropriate distribution engineering personnel to maximize power factor control effectiveness; establish and maintain database and specify control hardware.
· Prepare and provide generator specifications, system design, implementation and support.
· Conduct master station equipment inspections for proper operation and maintenance.
· Attend and participate in Seminole Load Management group meetings.
4 Year / Bachelors Degree
electrical engineering with a concentration in electrical power engineering
Registered or eligible to become a Registered Professional Engineer in the state of Florida.
Minimum four (4) years progressively responsible experience in electric utility substation, transmission, or SCADA operations with emphasis on design, construction and operations.
AutoCAD or similar computer aided design software experience.
Distribution electric utility experience or related industry.
Experience or similar work with an electric utility or related industry.
Education and/or Experience Notes
Job related experience may be substituted for the required education on a year-for-year basis.
Ability to operate a variety of office equipment, including a personal computer, printers, copy machines, telephone, and fax machine.
Ability to work irregular hours for assignment completion and flexibility to change scheduling and report to work on short notice during emergency situations.
A valid Florida driver’s license for regular driving privileges of a company vehicle; must have and maintain an acceptable driving record as determined by SECO Energy.
Irregular hours in evenings and on weekends are possible during peak business times and during storm season.
Normal work hours shall be eight (8) hours between 7:00 am and 5:00 pm, Monday through Friday.
Successful completion of pre-employment background check, physical and drug screen.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities; maintain confidential information, and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment; multi-task calmly and effectively in all situations.
Ability to work in stressful, high-tension situations.
Ability to work effectively on projects and in a team environment; to maintain highly confidential information; and effectively manage stress and pressure in a frequently changing environment.
Business communication skills with ability to read, analyze and interpret job related business periodicals and technical manuals; ability to prepare all types of business correspondence; design and produce reports with a high degree of detail and accuracy; and ability to express technical information clearly and simply while working closely with other personnel.
Computer proficiency with the ability to utilize MS Office products; ability to acquire working knowledge of applicable corporate programs as they relate to the position.
Effective interpersonal and communications skills including written, verbal and listening for interaction with employees, managers, subcontractors, government agencies and others; excellent planning and organizational skills; ability to work independently and productively and results oriented in order to complete assignments and meet deadlines.
Effective listening, written, and verbal communication skills.
Excellent customer service orientation and organizational skills; ability to exercise good judgment, sound reasoning skills, and discretion in making independent decisions commensurate with responsibilities.
Familiarity with SCADA and substation communication systems. Prefer knowledge of FAA/FCC rules and regulations for RF communications.
Proficiency in the operation of personal computers and MS Office products. Required Auto CAD or similar computer aided design software.
Thorough working knowledge of electronic and electric circuit analysis; design and construction methods related to utility substation and transmission facilities; project management techniques and procedures; thorough knowledge of appropriate NERC Reliability Standards, Florida and RUS standards and regulations.
Working knowledge of substation and switching design, relay and symmetrical components; SCADA and information system configuration and programming, load management system design and control requirements; telecommunications and control system design; fault circuit analysis system sectionalizing requirements and equipment application.
English is the primary business language. Second language in Spanish is desirable.
SECO Energy is a not-for-profit electric cooperative serving over 210,000 families and businesses across seven counties in Central Florida, making SECO the third largest electric co-op in Florida and the seventh largest in the nation.
In both 2017 and 2016, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Cooperatives” in the J.D. Power Electric Utility Residential Customer Satisfaction Study. In 2015, SECO Energy was ranked “Highest in Customer Satisfaction among Midsize Utilities in the South” by J.D. Power. SECO refers to the three consecutive awards as its “Triple Crown,” and we are grateful to our members for ranking us #1!