Earthjustice is the premier nonprofit environmental law organization. We take on the biggest, most precedent-setting cases across the country. We wield the power of law and the strength of partnership to protect people’s health; to preserve magnificent places and wildlife; to advance clean energy; and to combat climate change. We partner with thousands of groups to engage on the critical environmental issues of our time and bring about positive change. We are here because the earth needs a good lawyer.
Founded in 1971, Earthjustice has a distinguished track record of achieving significant, lasting environmental protections. We achieve this by hiring people who share a passion for justice and a healthy environment. Our headquarters is in San Francisco with offices in Anchorage, Juneau, Los Angeles, Tallahassee, Miami, Honolulu, New York, Philadelphia, Denver, Chicago, Seattle, Bozeman, and Washington, DC.
This position assists the Controller in the smooth and efficient functioning of the Accounting Department by ensuring that all accounting transactions are processed in an orderly and timely fashion and serves as a backup to the Controller to ensure the continuation of essential department functions. Further, the Accounting Manager directly supervises, coaches, trains, and mentors the Senior and Staff Accountants.
This position can be hybrid in our San Francisco office or remote within the United States.
Management and oversight of Accounting Team (50%):
- Recruits and hires qualified candidates who fit position requirements and the work environment.
- Develops staff by identifying and encouraging training and professional development opportunities appropriate to role and creating development plans for all staff.
- Provides staff with consistent performance feedback – both positive and constructive -- and acts as a coach and mentor.
- Creates a learning culture, by encouraging debriefing after completion of significant stages of projects.
- Creates a respectful and inclusive work environment for team and models respectful and inclusive behavior.
- Promptly addresses micro-aggressions and other concerns brought to their attention.
- Resolves interpersonal conflict among team members and brings in outside facilitators as needed.
- Communicates regularly with existing employees and encourages staff to raise concerns and to provide ongoing feedback.
- Creates or identifies strategic opportunities for team building and individual and overall staff engagement with one another to strengthen teamwork, interaction and collaboration.
- Values and uses individual differences and talents to improve employee satisfaction and the quality of collective work.
- Celebrates successes and helps team members to understand and manage setbacks.
- Train staff on proper accounting treatment for new account reconciliations or when errors are identified
Accounting focused tasks:
- Own the monthly close process by establishing team deadlines, monitoring progress, reviewing reconciliations prepared by the Accounting Team, posting general ledger entries entered in NetSuite and providing support for the team when technical accounting questions or issues arise
- Partner with Development to ensure contribution revenue is complete, accurate, and has been properly recognized
- Review and analyze monthly accounting transactions after entry into the system, check for discrepancies, and escalate to Assistant Controller if discrepancies are found
- Manage and research issues before communicating recommendations to team leaders to make final decisions
Compliance and External Reporting (30%):
- Annual Financial Statement Audit, Team Lead
- Coordinate audit scheduling with external auditors, and manage accounting staff to ensure that all audit deadlines are met during interim and year-end fieldwork
- Create final Financial Statement schedules, including Statements of Activities, Financial Position, Cash Flows, and related footnotes
- Review schedules prepared by the Accounting Team to ensure proper accounting treatment has been used and general ledger is complete and accurate
- Serve as the lead contact for audit questions over specific accounting transactions
- Work with various internal departments and regional offices to gather sample selections for testing, including allocating out the selections, keeping track of auditor-imposed deadlines, and reviewing documentation for completeness before sending to the external audit team.
- Form 990 and 5500 Annual Filings, Team Lead
- Manage preparation of supporting schedules for the Form 990 and 5500
- Coordinate with external tax or audit team to ensure timely completion of support schedules, drafts, internal reviews, and public filings
- Serve as the contract person for questions over specific transactions
Systems and Policies (15%):
- Update accounting policies as needed; stay abreast of accounting rules and changes; make recommendations for accounting policy changes to leadership
- Document process, procedures, work instructions, and controls within the department to strengthen the controls environment and improve efficiency
- Serve as Accounting resource for external departments when accounting questions and requests arise
- Other duties as assigned by the Assistant Controller or Controller
*Supervisory Responsibilities: Up to 4 direct reports
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting
- At least 5 years performing accounting functions, of which at least 2 years in a supervisory role
- Knowledge of and experience applying GAAP in organizational settings. Proficiency with accounting packages and Office365
- Near expert-level mastery of Excel including vlookups, pivot tables, allocation schedules and ability to quickly and accurately isolate data errors or inconsistencies
- Exceptionally detail-oriented, with the ability to keep confidential information private
- Uncompromising ethics, integrity, and self-accountability
- Good verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong relationship-building skills.
- Able to work and think independently and critically and demonstrate professional skepticism and intellectual curiosity
- Ability to work effectively within deadline-driven environment and be flexible to the changing needs of the team and organization
- Demonstrates an awareness and sensitivity to the needs and concerns of individuals from diverse cultures, backgrounds, and orientations.
- Contributes to the creation of a diverse, equitable, and inclusive work culture that encourages and celebrates differences.
Management (Essential Skills)
- Ability to effectively manage and lead a diverse team with emotional intelligence (self-awareness and understating of the impact of their behavior) and cultural humility (an understanding of the need for additional learning about different cultures, backgrounds and orientation and implementation of that learning daily management practices).
- Has self-awareness and understands the impact of behaviors and emotional intelligence in the workplace. Also understands team strengths and areas for development.
- Commitment to and experience in developing team skills and talents to meet the evolving needs of an organization.
- Ability to give and receive regular formal and informal feedback in a timely, constructive, respectful, and consistent manner and to incorporate debriefing into the team’s operations.
- Strong team mentorship and communication skills
- Understands individual and team strengths, and areas for development and develops those plans accordingly.?
We offer a competitive salary and excellent benefits that are comprehensive and competitive. We also offer an extremely congenial work environment and a casual dress code.
Salary is dependent on experience and location.
Salary range in San Francisco, CA: $105,500-$117,200
Remote-US range: $89,700-$117,200
*Remote applicants should indicate in their application the city and state from which they will be working to confirm the precise salary range of that location.
Applicants should apply via Jobvite and include the following:
- Cover letter
Please reach out to email@example.com if you are having technical difficulties submitting your application. No phone calls, drop-ins, or hard copies.
Earthjustice is driven by a passion for justice, partnership and excellence. Our core values lead us to seek a broad range of perspectives and backgrounds to achieve our mission and to maintain an inclusive environment where all staff are valued and respected. As an equal opportunity employer, we are committed to employment practices that ensure that employees and applicants for employment are given equal opportunities without regard to race, color, national origin, ancestry, sex, age, religion, physical or mental disability, medical condition, veteran status, marital status, pregnancy, sexual orientation, gender identity, gender expression, genetic information or any other factor that is not related to the position.
For positions located within the City and County of San Francisco: Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.
For positions located within the City of Los Angeles: We will consider qualified applicants with criminal histories in a manner consistent with the Los Angeles Fair Chance Initiative for Hiring.