Direct and coordinate the planning, organizing, and coaching of the Mercyhurst University Women’s Division II Soccer program.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Actively recruit and retain to maintain appropriate roster size for women’s soccer as determined by the Director of Athletics
• Provide a framework for student-athletes to perform to their highest potential by teaching and developing skill levels and game strategies for all team members during practice sessions in preparation for their use during intercollegiate competition while utilizing proper judgment in the instruction and expectations and operate with the highest possible safety standards observed.
• Teach and set expectations of appropriate team conduct during competition, travel, practice, and University events, and at any other times when the team is representing the University. Consult and collaborate with university administration and faculty for resolution of problems as required.
• Develop teams which are highly competitive within the conference, region and nationally by maximizing the student-athletes’ talents while also teaching and promoting teamwork.
• Oversees all soccer administrative responsibilities, including but not limited to personnel functions, budgetary planning, purchasing, monitor expenses, reconcile expenditures, scheduling, and equipment upkeep.
• Direct and coordinate the activities of the Women’s Soccer Staff to include the planning, game preparation, organizing and coaching of the Mercyhurst University Women’s Soccer team and the Reserve Soccer team; Cultivate continuing educational experiences for all staff members.
• Provide guidance to student-athletes through teaching life skills and social responsibility to improve their physical, intellectual, and social maturity. Provide support directly to student-athletes and create a network within the team and through the usage of other campus support entities.
• Create an environment through instruction and modeling for student-athletes to observe and learn integrity, camaraderie, and respect to provide a positive environment for all student athletes.
• Serve as a resource to student-athletes navigating the balance of academic and athletic demands appropriately.
• Collaborate and contribute to the goals of the university and athletic department. This includes but is not limited to the following areas: academics, wellness, athletic training, strength and conditioning, finance, game operations, athletics communications, marketing, alumni relations, and fundraising.
• Be actively involved with compliance, University, Conference and NCAA policies and regulations.
• Plan and coordinate with admissions on hosting summer youth camps and ID events.
• Represent the Mercyhurst University Athletic Department in professional, civic, charity and alumni events.
• Perform other related duties incidental to the work described herein.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• Bachelor’s degree in Physical Education or related field (Master’s degree preferred); USFFA License preferred; Previous college coaching experience required - minimum of two years - elite preferred or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Strong administrative and organizational skills
• Ability to communicate effectively in both oral and written form
• Leadership skills with energy, insight, enthusiasm, and strong work ethic.
• Strong budget and fund-raising skills
KNOWLEDGE SKILLS AND ABILITIES
• Ability to evaluate physical performance related to the women’s soccer program.
• Excellent written and oral communication skills required. Ability to effectively communicate both within and outside the University including, but not limited to, student athletes, parents, recruits, coaches, civic and business leaders required.
• Ability to work as a support individual within a group setting.
• Ability to provide effective leadership to student athletes to encourage both successful academic development and competitive performance.
• Must possess the physical skills necessary to demonstrate Soccer techniques.
• Position involves both inside sedentary work and active work on the field in coaching and training situations with student athletes.
• Must have current licensure for transportation of the team in vans
• Ability to work evenings and weekends
• Must have current training in first aid and CPR
• Subject to a criminal background check prior to employment.
Mercyhurst is a four-year, Catholic, liberal arts university founded in 1926. More than 50 undergraduate majors, with 67 concentrations, as well as unique adult programs and eight graduate degrees are available at the university.
The Mercyhurst University intercollegiate athletics program reflects an institutional commitment to excellence by offering a wide range of programs for all students.
The University's intercollegiate athletics program is comprised of 25 varsity sports, with the Lakers fielding teams in 13 women’s sports and 12 men’s sports. Two of the programs compete at the Division I level (men’s and women’s ice hockey) while 22 participate on the Division II stage. Men’s rowing is the only varsity sport not recognized by the NCAA as a championship sport.
Mercyhurst also offers a robust club sports program, which are open to all students.