Facilities Management Director
Job Description Summary
The Director, Integrated Facilities Management will manage and direct activities for the delivery of facility management services, operations and asset planning, maintenance, and repair for a portfolio of approximately 75 million square feet across the United States. This portfolio includes multi types of real estate including admin. , retail and critical services sites. This position includes accountability for the overall delivery covering engineering, energy advisory and environmental, health and safety services. Responsibilities also include MSA compliance, adherence to the business plan, budgetary control, and oversight of the daily management and operations activities associated with the portfolio.
The primary objective of the position is to maximize the value of the client's assets; achieving the operational and financial goals and objectives by developing, implementing, and executing an overall Strategic Plan for the portfolio and the management of a national FM team of over 200 union and non-union colleagues. This requires the candidate to have an in-depth understanding of the client's objectives as well as a broad knowledge of the real estate life cycle including but not limited to facility operations experience (across all services), capital planning, and a strong discipline of financial management and related analysis.
To be successful, the candidate must develop and maintain a client-focused, partnering, and consultative approach; anticipating client needs, thinking strategically, being solutions-focused, and being both proactive and reactive as the situation and circumstances dictate. The candidate must be astute at identifying service delivery and portfolio management improvement opportunities and keen on developing recommendations that highlight the value-added benefit of the outsourcing partnership.
The Director will perform at the highest of ethical standards, reflecting the core values of C&W as defined in its Business Code of Conduct, Policies and Procedures Manual, and other related company policies.
This is a Supervisor / Salary / Exempt role.
External relationships: this role will interact with client leadership, client staff, and vendors.
Internal relationships: this role will interact with the IFM service platform, account leadership, and C&W corporate COEs.
- Coordination, delivery, and quality assurance of all Cushman & Wakefield facilities management account services and adherence to the client's real estate standards of performance
- Manage a broad and diverse team covering client's large real estate portfolio consisting of multiple real estate types with varying criticality.
- Supports senior leadership in developing strategies for accommodating growth and dynamic integration across all service delivery work streams.
- Complete understanding of contract obligations to ensure client expectations are met.
- Maintaining effective relationships with key client contacts.
- Develop financial plans and specific goals for cost control/reduction and ensure that these goals are met or exceeded.
- Provide strategic leadership and guidance, advice, coaching, and direct support where required to deliver best practice selection, training, assessment, and recognition/reward.
- Support effective business communications by providing advice and leadership while making a direct contribution during team meetings, client briefings, and monthly reporting.
- Ensure optimum staffing structures across the portfolio balancing coverage and performance needs with the delivery of service excellence and financial resources.
- Lead and support the FM organization to develop a proactive approach to:
- Drive continuous improvement philosophy and culture throughout the organization;
- Monitor vender performance and manage key contract relationships;
- Ensure SLAs & KPIs are achieved and aligned with contractual agreements;
- Identify and recommend remedial actions and process changes;
- Ensure all required policies and procedures are adopted and used on-site ;
- Ensure all works are competently completed;
- Comply with legislative, environmental, health, and safety requirements;
- Minimize commercial risk to the business;
- Ensure Site FM Managers & Coordinators maintain accurate, timely, qualitative, and reliable management reporting;
- Develop and successfully implement an overall facilities plan designed to enhance the value of the client's real estate portfolio; operating each property at peak efficiency without sacrificing quality; providing superior and responsive tenant and/or occupant services and ensuring compliance with all applicable life safety and crisis management rules and regulations.
- Manage the client's assets in the most profitable and/or cost-effective manner and in a manner consistent with the management contract and account plan.
- Develop and maintain technical proficiency, industry knowledge, and communication skills to provide timely information on all property-specific issues as well as keep the client informed of important developments and trends in the property and facility management industry.
- In collaboration with the CMO Director ensure the quality of all client FM reporting by standardizing systems and procedures that assure compliance with Asset Services reporting standards.
- Promote and adhere to all established policies and procedures relative to standard assignment deliverables, business conduct, and integrity while ensuring ongoing quality management of all Cushman & Wakefield's products and services.
- Ensure that all matters/issues pertaining to Human Resources, legal and risk management are coordinated and resolved at the Cushman & Wakefield levels.
- Participates in budget preparation and development, capital planning, cash flow management, and production of monthly financial reports to ensure accuracy and completeness, and that all client reporting conforms to established reporting standards.
- Manage and train the facilities management staff to ensure an understanding of standard operating policies and procedures and their role in achieving the Plan by operating the property to meet or exceed our client's objectives.
- Develop, mentor, and coach staff to achieve organizational sustainability and career growth.
- Support the CMO in negotiations of service contracts with outside vendors to achieve a balance between performance and cost in compliance with Cushman & Wakefield's values, standards, and guidelines for business conduct.
- Ensure regulatory compliance and effective management of risk and liability for both Cushman & Wakefield and the client.
- Support and provide leadership in a commitment to achieve Cushman & Wakefield's and Client's vision and mission and extol its values and professional behavior in the day-to-day conduct of business delivery and staff actions.
- Comply with all safety procedures and complete required training.
- Customer Relationship Skills
- Technical Skills
- FM delivery experience in retail real estate
- Organization Design & Management Skills
- Communication (oral and written)
- Financial Management
- Matrix Organization / Business Partner Skills
- Presentation Skills
- Business Acumen
Any combination of education and experience that would provide the required knowledge and abilities is qualifying. A typical way to obtain knowledge and abilities would be:
A High School Diploma or GED Equivalent is required.
Bachelor's degree required
Master's degree or MBA preferred
Years of Relevant Experience
Minimum of 10+ years at Senior Facilities Management level or other similar capacities.
Licenses or Certifications
CPM/CFM/RPA/FMA/LEED AP designation preferred
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities
- Experience in directly leading and managing multi-discipline teams including client portfolio P&L, and contract management experience.
- Proven expertise in the management of an integrated services account, including Integrated Facility Management, Project & Development Services, Transaction Management, Portfolio Administration, and Strategic Consulting
- Expertise in all facets of facility/property operation and management; possess technical domain knowledge (IFM hard services a must, and one or more in IFM Soft Services/Workplace Experience, PDS, TM, LA, SCON).
- People management, vendor management and capital planning, and project/construction management experience are strongly preferred.
- Ability to develop positive working relationships with client, business community members, and union business agents.
- Proven success in providing innovative, out-of-the-box strategies for complex issues.
- Above average oral and written communication skills as this role must be able to effectively communicate to all levels of the organization, maintaining the ability to produce and communicate detailed reports.
- Dynamic public speaking and presentation expertise is highly desired.
- Skilled in financial analysis and knowledge of financial concepts.
- Ability to comprehend, analyze and interpret complex business documents.
- Able to adapt to a fast-paced matrixed working environment and versatile in meeting client-changing needs and requirements.
- Excellent analytical and problem-solving skills with the ability to use those skills in conducting incident/event fact-finding and risk mitigation
- Formal continuous improvement leadership experience preferred.
- Attention to detail and ability to work efficiently to meet deadlines and timelines.
- Excellent technical, interpersonal, and analytical skills
- Excellent written and oral communications skills
- Strong computer and systems knowledge
- Strong proficiency with MS Office Suite (MS Word, Excel, and PowerPoint) + basic Computing Skills with the ability to adapt to virtual roles / virtual work environment; including proficiency in the operation of smartphone and/or iPad/tablet, uploading .pdf files, and documents, and logging into conference meetings (i.e., BlueJeans, Teams Meetings).
Physical Work Requirements
The conditions herein are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential job functions:
Environment: The role is hybrid remote / work-from-home with typical business working hours expected supporting a national account. Typical equipment supplied for the role includes a company laptop computer, monitor, and mobile phone.
As part of meeting business and client needs, period travel could include work in commercial and professional office environments.
When remote, the incumbent in the role is expected to provide an internet connection at their remote location with no reimbursement for internet costs. If remote work is not preferred a local hub office to the candidate's location may be an alternative assigned work location.
Physical: The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to communicate with others and exchange accurate information; operate a computer and other office productivity machinery; move about the workplace; remain in a stationary position for at least 50% of the time; and extend hands and arms in any direction.
Vision: See in the normal visual range with or without correction; vision sufficient to read computer screens and printed documents. Regularly required to utilize vision abilities, allowing reading of printed material, drawings, and schematics.
Hearing: Hear in the normal audio range with or without correction.
Most schedules work typical East Coast (EST) business hours based on supporting the account overall.
May require regular travel between properties and locations in varying weather conditions. This key leadership role may travel from 25 -35% nation wide and must be willing and able to travel to support after-hours/weekend account activity as needed.
This job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive list of activities, duties, or responsibilities that are required of the employee. Other duties, responsibilities, and activities may change or be assigned at any time with or without notice.
Conditions of employment
All offers of employment are contingent upon:
Legal Documentation establishing identity and eligibility to be legally employed in the US/United States Citizenship
Criminal background check
Clean DMV record (for related driving roles)
C&W provides equal employment opportunity to all individuals regardless of their race, color, creed, religion, gender, age, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law. Further, the company takes affirmative action to ensure that applicants are employed and employees during employment are treated without regard to any of these characteristics. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated.
Cushman & Wakefield also provides eligible employees with an opportunity to enroll in a variety of benefit programs, generally including health, vision, and dental insurance, flexible spending accounts, health savings accounts, retirement savings plans, life, and disability insurance programs, and paid and unpaid time away from work. In addition to a comprehensive benefits package, Cushman and Wakefield provide eligible employees with competitive pay, which may vary depending on eligibility factors such as geographic location, date of hire, total hours worked, job type, business line, and applicability of collective bargaining agreements.The compensation that will be offered to the successful candidate will depend on factors such as whether the position is covered by a collective bargaining agreement, the geographic area in which the work will be performed, market pay rates in that area, and the candidate's experience and qualifications.The company will not pay less than minimum wage for this role.The compensation for the position is: $212,330.00 - $249,800.00Cushman & Wakefield provides equal employment opportunity. Discrimination of any type will not be tolerated. Cushman & Wakefield is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, protected veteran status or any other characteristic protected by state, federal, or local law.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Cushman & Wakefield, please call the ADA line at 1-888-365-5406 or email HRServices@cushwake.com. Please refer to the job title and job location when you contact us.
In compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act Amendments Act (ADAAA), if you have a disability and would like to request an accommodation in order to apply for a position at Cushman & Wakefield, email HRServices@cushwake.com or HRServices@cwservices.com. All inquiries not related to accommodations will go unanswered.