1. Accurately record all financial transactions of CVEC.
2. Financial reporting consistent with approved and prescribed accounting principals.
3. Performs other duties relating to the accounting systems as requested by management.
C. Reporting Relationships:
1. Reports to: Supervisor of Accounting
D. Duties and responsibilities:
1.Maintains General Ledger in accordance with RUS uniform system of accounts. Keeps all subsidiary journals and records in an accurate manner. Prepares all financial statements for monthly and annual reporting. 2. Maintains cash collections and disbursement records in a timely manner to assure that CVEC is able to meet all cash requirements. Reconciles monthly bank statements for general fund, patronage capital credit fund and other bank accounts. Setup electronic payments for power bill and loan payments. Initiate monthly drafts for miscellaneous receivable accounts. 3. Complete reporting to government and other agencies. These include IRS forms 940, 941, 990, 1099’s, W-2 and W-3. Others include Department of Energy, New Mexico Self Insurer’s Group, State Unemployment, and Property Tax Division. The above is not all inclusive and is subject to additional reporting. 4. Make timely tax deposit for payroll and property tax. 5. Processes customer refunds as requested by the customer service department or Customer Service Representative. 6. Processes check requests and invoices for payment. 7. Reviews employee expense reports to assure compliance with established policies of the Cooperative and process these expense reports for payment. 8. Performs accounts payable month end processing and prepares month end reports. 9. Assists in billing employees and other for personal and material purchases. 10. Maintain Patronage Capital Credit records for membership. Prepare unclaimed list for annual publication in Enchantment. Reissue unclaimed patronage and retire estates. 11. Maintain all records and documents for a perpetual inventory of all material. 12. Responsible for work order processing from work in progress to the plant accounts and loan fund documents. Must keep a good working relationship with engineering department to have an effective work order procedure. 13. Enters items to depreciation ledger and balance depreciation ledger to General Ledger. 14. Cooperates with independent auditors in preparation of annual audit. 15. Maintain monthly mileage records for all cooperative vehicles. Renew annual registration and weight & distance permits. Submit quarterly weight & distance reports and taxes to the state. 16. Represents CVEC at accounting seminars when requested. 17. The list of duties and responsibilities is not intended to be all inclusive and may be expanded to include other duties and responsibilities that management deems necessary. 18. Review and comply with established policies and procedures of the cooperative.
E. Internal Relationships:
1. With the Supervisor of Accounting & Manager of Finance and Administration - to accept supervision and direction from, consult, and assist.
F. External Relationships:
1. Banks - Make deposits, pick up statements, deliver and receive correspondence as needed. 2. External Financial Auditors – Provide all financial records and reports for preparation of the Cooperative annual financial audit. 3. RUS Field Representative – Provide all necessary documents for preparation of work order and loan fund audit.
G. Position Requirements:
1. Skills and knowledge normally acquired through a Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting or equivalent work experience. 2. Must have knowledge of policies and procedures relating to duties of the position. 3. Must have excellent attention to detail. 4. Must be honest and trustworthy. 5. Must be able to use office equipment such as a computer, keyboard, copier, printer, fax machine, 10-key calculator, etc. 6. Must possess a high level of mathematical skills. 7. Must be well organized. 8. Must be able to prioritize and manage multiple tasks with exceptional accuracy and completion. 9. Must be able to travel intra/inter-state as necessary to conduct or obtain training. 10. Must possess a valid New Mexico Driver’s license or the ability to obtain license prior to employment. Must be eligible to be and remain insured as a driver by the Cooperative’s group liability policy for the automotive fleet.
H. Physical Demands:
1. Works in a climate controlled office environment. 2. Job requires sitting most of the time, with standing, walking, bending and reaching required as needed. 3. Lifting up to 30 pounds as required for computer generated reports and other accounting records weighing up to 30 pounds. 4. Requires good finger dexterity, repetitive motions with hands and fingers. 5. Requires the ability to perform close work. 6. Requires good vision and hearing. 7. Must be able to present information to others accurately. 8. Must be able to work under stress and with frequent deadlines. 9. Must be willing to submit to random alcohol and drug testing per company policy.
Central Valley Electric Cooperative is a rural electric distribution cooperative located in Artesia, New Mexico, United States. Incepted in 1937, we serve over 4,000 consumers, over 15,000 meters and over 4,200 miles of line in rural southeastern New Mexico.