Founded in 1986, Asset Living is a true third-party property management firm with decades of experience delivering exceptional value to partners across the nation. As a leader in third-party property management, Asset Living is the fourth largest in the country (National Multifamily Housing Council's Top 50) and remains the No. 1 third-party student housing property manager in the U. S. for 11 years in a row (Student Housing Business). With over 36 years of experience, Asset Living's growing portfolio includes a multitude of properties across the country that span the multi-family, single-family home rentals, affordable housing, build-to-rent, active adult, and student housing divisions. Asset Living presently manages a portfolio consisting of approximately 175,000+ units and 125,000+ beds. Asset Living is a family made up of diverse backgrounds, unique ideas, and distinct personalities. Recognized as one of the nation's Best and Brightest Places to Work, professionals join Asset Living because of its reputation as the most trusted partner in real estate, workplace culture, and growth opportunities. Asset Living is a member of The Institute of Real Estate Management (IREM) and is recognized as an Accredited Management Organization (AMO).
Deputy Corporate Controller
The Deputy Controller is a key member of the Asset Living corporate accounting team. This position reports to the Corporate Controller and is responsible for the oversight of Asset Living s corporate month end close and day to day operations. Accountabilities include collaboration with key functions including property accounting, business development, transitions and integrations, operations, treasury, data analytics, human resources, and legal.
The position requires a continuous process improvement mindset and accounting leadership, to proactively analyze, frame, and implement recommended strategies to CFO and other key stakeholders and optimize accounting processes/structure, mitigate risks, ensure sufficient liquidity, and drive efficiency in decision-making and business process. This position requires a hands-on leader who will roll up their sleeves, set the pace and lead by example. This individual will partner across Finance and cross-functionally across the organization to support process transformation by streamlining, standardizing, and automating processes.
Essential Duties & Responsibilities
- Ensuring financial statement integrity and driving operational excellence in closing and reporting processes to provide timely and accurate information to internal and external stakeholders. Thorough review of monthly financial statements will include reviewing significant journal entries, balance sheet reconciliations, and monthly variance analyses for each Asset Living region.
- Drive consistency and month end close process standardization across the Asset Living regions.
- Manage day to day corporate accounting operations including billing, accounts receivable, accounts payable, general ledger, revenue recognition, and cash management, and ensuring that the books are closed in accordance with US GAAP
- Develop and maintain proper procedures in technical accounting areas such as lease accounting, fixed assets, intangibles and revenue recognition and prepare accounting memos when necessary.
- Set standards of excellence and make improvements to processes, efficiencies, technology, and talent management.
- Lead team of 10+ individuals across Asset Living regions
- Collaborate with Corporate Controller in the teammate development processes and succession planning through performance management, mentoring, coaching, training, and modeling appropriate leadership behaviors.
- Drive enhancements to Asset Living control environment to mitigate key risks.
- Compare new technologies to traditional methods and utilize best in class technology and practices to drive the business forward.
- Build and maintain a knowledgeable and skilled team who execute in accordance with Asset Living s vision, mission, and values.
- Support M&A in the areas of onboarding acquisitions and post-merger integration activities
- Maintain knowledge of generally accepted accounting principles (GAAP)
- Collaborate with the Treasury Department to support strategic banking and Treasury Management related initiatives.
- Perform other duties as directed by Corporate Controller
- 10+ years experience in accounting with 5+ years in a leadership role managing a team of accounting professionals.
- Deep knowledge of and proficiency with current accounting rules, compliance, and technical accounting; maintains a bias toward adoption of best practices.
- Hands-on leader with good communication skills, a results-oriented collaborative style and proven track record leading, delegating and developing teams.
- Detail-oriented, highly organized, and capable of prioritizing multiple tasks in a fast-paced environment to meet deadlines.
- Excellent project management skills and ability to execute initiatives while balancing day to day objectives.
- Results oriented, professional energy, poise, and self-confidence.
- Familiarity with financial regulations and laws, such as GAAP and financial reporting requirements
- Experience with NetSuite a plus
Education & Experience
- CPA required.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting, finance, economics, or another related field
- Excellent critical reasoning, quantitative, and analytical skills
- Deep understanding of financial concepts
- Excellent interpersonal, written, and verbal communication skills
- Proven organizational skills with attention to detail
This job description should not be considered all-inclusive. It is merely a guide of expected duties. The employee understands that the job description is neither complete nor permanent and may be modified at any time. At the request of their supervisor, an employee may be asked to perform additional duties or take on additional responsibilities without notice.